Sunday, February 7, 2016

Let There Be Light

Unlike Nairobi, Kisumu is teeming with mosquito activity, so I try to be under the mosquito net by 9/9:30. Each year I hope the combination of the net and my daily Malarone will help me avoid malaria.

Nevertheless, it's a bother to tuck the net in securely, and then to have to tuck it back in after you've gotten out of bed to turn off the light.

That's why my solar lantern is always under the net with me, along with my phone, my iPad, and my glasses. It's quite ingeneous - an inflatable plastic cylinder with mini rechargeable panels on top, and a little button to turn it on, increase the brightness, switch to emergency flashing mode, and off again. I turn it on, throw it under the net, turn off the ceiling light, and hop into bed.

 

I've had mine for several years, and it's still going strong. It's particularly useful when the power goes out, often daily in smaller towns and villages, so I usually bring a few extras to leave as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment