Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Arrival!

Arrived this morning after a typical set of flights to Kenya - slept too little, watched way too many movies and TV shows and finished a library ebook that was about to expire on my iPad. Loved "The Martian" and the "Modern Family" episodes, and thought Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams was womderful (Thanks Dionna!)

Amazingly, both of my suitcases arrived (unlike in 2014), and I got my Kenyan phone out to call Innocent (the coach of Kibera's jump rope team), who was arranging my ride. My phone had other ideas, necessitating the following "discussion"
"You've got to be kidding! What do you mean 'invalid SIM card' - I put in the right PIN and you accepted it!"
Luckily some very nice people offered me the use of their phones, we connected, and I got picked up and deposited at the guest house.

What is it about Kenya that refreshes me so each time I return?

Everyone walks! Not recreationally, but for a purpose. They walk:
• to the store;
• to the post office (no home delivery);
• to catch a matatu (a 14-passenger van outfitted for 20+), a taxi, a piki-piki (motorbike), a bicycle or a tuk-tuk (an enclosed 3-wheel motorbike with a seat in back - meant for 3, but, after all, the driver gets more if he can get in an extra person or two).

The people - friendly, warm, curious and RELAXED! They understand things will happen when they  happen. Their practicality as well - when you don't have much, you learn to do with what you have or you innovate to create what you need.
But lest you think I can find no fault with being in Kenya, let me assure you I would be delighted to do without:

• the crazy traffic in Nairobi 

• the choruses of dogs that serenade me throughout the night (regardless of whether I'm in a large city, small town, or rural area)
• the inadvisability of being out after dark

• the wide-spread official corruption  

• the low level of support for teachers in general and special needs programs in particular 

But things are changing, little by little.

It's great to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment