Thursday, February 3, 2011

Internet Withdrawal

I'm currently at an internet cafe across from my hotel in Moshi, Tanzania, but arrived in town too late to get a Tanzanian SIM card to power my computer modem. While you can buy phone credit nearly anywhere, the SIM cards require formal registration at approved stores, with a copy of your passport. Strange, since they cost so little - about $1.25 in Kenya.

I have gotten so spoiled having a 3G computer modem that having to limit myself to an hour or two at an internet cafe seems barely tolerable (most close at 8 PM). And this time I can't even complain about the walk. Places I've stayed in past visits have been at least a mile from the nearest internet cafe.

Tomorrow I'll be gone most of the day, and will try to get an hour or two at the cafe before they close. Saturday I'll be travelling up to Mombasa, so no computer until I get there - but then I'll be back in the unlimited lane.

Earlier today I got a 3 hour, bone jarring full body massage, thanks to unfinished portions of the Nairobi-Arusha road. The roads here are death to shock absorbers, so even driving on the newly paved surfaces sets up a whole body vibration. I had some productive planning time on the bus, but my notes are barely legible.

Well, I still have to get an ATM to get more Tanzanian money, find someplace to eat, and try to decipher my bus notes.

note: I'm finishing this up early Sunday morning - there was a power outage in Moshi as I was finishing up the post, and the backup generator at the internet cafe just couldn't handle the computer load.

No comments:

Post a Comment